What I Found

Internally displaced persons

Hi Everyone and welcome to a beautiful weekend, a fresh start and a perfect time to lunch out, truly live life to  the fullest,Pursue your goals and achieve success.

 As you go higher and achieve success try to pull up another person ,reach back and give back.
    Today I will share my little escapade on my visit to an IDP camp. An IDP camp is temporal shelter where an internally displaced person who is forced to flee his or her home but who remains within his or her country lives.
Random IDP shelter
    In Borno state  there are several IDP camps as a result of the conflict situation. In these camps you hear of and see people who escaped  death, families splited, children orphaned ,early marriages ,Malnourished children , several victims of gender based violence and more heart breaking stories but then there are stories of people who are facing life against all odds,learning trades ,learning to smile again and  slowly but surely getting their lives back.
   Elmiskin camp in Maiduguri  however  stands out  because of its scenery  and the  beautiful Ostriches moving about, I was told by someone that ostriches are
capable of killing. Seeing how big and beautiful they  were I was drawn to it and so out of curiosity I took a few steps towards them.As I walked towards it,It started moving  towards me too, and I feared that it may be provoked and I panicked  and ran for my life.

An Ostrish at El-miskin camp Maiduguri

 It amazed me that  people  both young and old who lived in the camp moved about freely and often times close to the Ostrich without fear.
     As much as El-miskin camp is beautiful,these people still hope for a day when they will be in homes and not camps,a day when they will be independent.
And I ask When will that day come?
And about Ostriches, are they harmful? I am thinking they are not but let's know what you think.
   On Wednesday I intend to share a story of a 5year old who escaped death.

Comments

  1. It is a beautiful bird and the I believe that there is still Hope for the IDPs. Lots of unmet needs in tge camps need intervention from well meaning persons or groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alot has been done this far for IDPs, yet more needs to be done. There is still hope for IDPs. Thanks for reading and for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures and a captivating story. I know ostriches are strong and sometimes violent. I don't know what triggers them so I'd rather stay safe than find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right it's better to stay safe than find out....I wanted to touch it, that's all but the way it came closer made me have a rethink. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful story....I almost felt I was there and it's nice to know dat someone is thinking about d IDP's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew your name, It feels good to know you enjoyed reading .Thank you so much and please keep visiting this blog for more.

      Delete
  4. And you will beautifully cover the times of wants and needs, inspiring the hearts to the empathic and hands to be loose. You will make a good reporter for the "saharas" of these world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francis, I feel motivated reading your comment.Thank you for reading,I deeply appreciate.

      Delete
  5. Debi
    thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience about the state of IDPs in Elmiskin IDPs Camp and Ostrich

    I succumb with the IDPs hope, I believe a day will surely come when they will be in their home not in Camps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million for reading through.
      Indeed that day will come. I pray this day comes soon.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful piece Debbie. Thank you for this. I Look forward to reading about the 5 year old.

    An Ostrich is a beautiful bird, though defensive.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I am grateful Shedrach and yes tomorrow Wednesday the story of the 5year old boy will be shared as promised. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful and triggers a thought of imagination. Some parts cracked me up tho,esp the part u had to run for your life. Twas so beautiful and captivating. I really can't wait to read the story. Nice one ma'am

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Grasha thanks for taking out time to read.Keep visiting for more captivating stories.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful Debbi look toward ur efforts keep it on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Giant birds are scary, hands down 😂. many times i think about giving this IDPs a large parcel of land and aportioning it to them and aiding them build. Alot of them cannot go back home. Resources are needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes they are.... but beautiful too. It's a good thought for the IDPs you've got, You are kind. I really hope for lasting peace to return.Until then we can all do something to help no matter how little .

      Delete
  11. Wow! This is beautiful. I've been to Elmiskin camp and your writing really brought out its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T. Khadijah thanks so much, I am glad it did

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FACING DEATH

Love at the Gallery

GOLD CASTLE